The first meeting of the season for the East Hants Writers’ Group focussed on the craft of writing takes place Tuesday September 19th. As usual, we will meet at the Elmsdale Public Library, Elmsdale, East Hants, Nova Scotia, from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
Anyone who is interested in writing is welcome to attend. We have eleven members and have room for four more.
1) Choose a headline from a newspaper, magazine or TV news story and ask yourself, “What if?” For example, What if the truth was…? or What if this happened in…? or What’s the real story? Use the headline as your title (or part of the headline). The story must be no more than 500 words.
2) Story in a Box: The elements of the story picked out of boxes. For the September meeting, bring 2 character names, 2 situations, 2 weather conditions and 2 types of tools on pieces of paper. We’ll pick our elements at the September meeting and write stories for the October meeting.
3) Critique a piece of writing submitted by Lynn, who is going to send it to the group this week. Our new critiquing guidelines are as followed:
- List the strengths of the story.
- What areas of the story can be improved.
- Were there any times you were confused? When?
- Was the dialogue realistic?
- Does the story work? If not, why?
- If there are repeated mechanical mistakes, please make note.
Hope to see all members there.