Five members attended the self-publishing meeting: Lynn, Diane, Art, John, Donna and Phil.
We began the meeting by introducing ourselves because a new member was in attendance. We gave a brief summary of our self-publishing history and what we’d like to accomplish.
Diane gave a brief overview of what the group would discuss in the coming months. This included:
- The focus of this group will be on the business of self-publishing only. Whether this is the first time or tenth.
- Mini workshops on the steps of self-publishing. Members will provide these on the aspects of self-publishing they are familiar with.
- Editing: Mini workshops and discussions of the many aspects of editing.
- Step-by-step instructions on how to self-publish a book over the course of the year (to June).
- Discussions will include topics such as copyright, ISBN, CIP, Access Copyright, library donations
- Formatting the working manuscript as well as the finished product that goes into book form will be discussed.
- Marketing: How do you sell your books? This will be an ongoing topic.
- Print Costs: The wide-range of possibilities. What’s good? What’s bad?
- Publishing the East Hants Writers’ Anthology.
We expanded the discussion on ISBN, CIP and Access Copyright. We also spoke about marketing and how it was difficult for a lone writer to sell their books. It was agreed a self-publishing co-op would be a good idea, but no plans were discussed on how this could come about.