Understory Magazine’s mandate (from their website):
Understorey Magazine publishes literary writing and visual art by and about Canadian women.
Our vision is to sustain a relevant, accessible, diverse and aesthetically beautiful venue that supports and empowers women through self-expression. To achieve this vision we:
- Publish compelling, original stories and art by Canadian writers and artists who self-identify as women.
- Inspire, encourage and mentor new and emerging writers and artists.
- Support and promote established writers and artists.
- Seek out underrepresented stories and voices.
- Maintain a broadly feminist perspective that is welcoming, inclusive and empowering.
Understorey launched in November 2013 as a project of the Second Story Women’s Centre in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. With their generous administrative and editorial support, we published seven fabulous issues on the many facets of motherhood, including a special issue on motherhood and disability.
Upcoming Deadline: Issue 11 Service. Deadline June 15, 2017
To learn more about the magazine and the subject for the next deadline, visit Understorey Magazine.